WHAT EQUIPMENT DO I NEED TO PROVIDE?
The league supplies basic equipment including balls, training equipment and catcher’s gear. However you may choose to purchase these on your own.
You will need to provide:
- Softball Glove
- Softball Batting Helmet (with Face Mask and Chin Strap; NOCSAE Approved)
- USA Softball Approved Bat
- Softball Cleats (Plastic Cleats only for 6U-12U; soccer cleats not recommended, but acceptable for 6U/8U)
- Fielder’s Mask (Optional but highly recommended)
- Softball Bag (Optional)
- Batting Gloves (Optional)
- Sliding Shorts (recommended for all ages)
- Knee Guards (sliders – recommended for all ages)
WHAT TYPE OF BALL DOES EACH AGE GROUP USE?
Softballs are provided by the league for each team, but if you choose to purchase any on your own for use at home, click the links below.
WHAT SEASONS DOES IGSA PLAY AND HOW DO THE SEASONS WORK?
- Registration begins in late October/early November
- Evaluations will be in mid-late January
- Teams form following Evaluations and Draft
- Practices (two nights/week in February; one night/week March-May) will begin at the end of January/early February
- An additional cage time may occur on a different night during the week
- 6U will only practice one night per week for the entire season
- Games start on Opening Day, typically at the end of February
- Weekend Games will be on Saturdays
- 6U only plays Saturday games (no weeknight games)
- 14U typically only plays Saturday doubleheaders against teams from southern OC
- Weeknight Games will begin in early March (10U on Monday; 8U on Tuesday; 12U on Thursday)
- Season will conclude in late April/early May
- See the Spring page for details
- Registration begins in late June/early July
- Practice starts in late August and games run from early September to mid-November
- Games are on Sundays to allow players to participate in primary season activities on Saturdays
- We offer teams at the competitive select level and at the recreational level
- Select teams practice twice per week, play doubleheaders on Sundays and participate in 2 tournaments
- Rec teams practice once per week, play one game on Sundays and participate in 1 tournament
- IGSA teams play in the OC Fall Ball league, which consists of ~ a dozen leagues in South Orange County
- Games will be played both at Home and Away in other cities
- See the Fall Ball page for details on the differences and the time commitment
CAN MY DAUGHTER REQUEST TO PLAY WITH A FRIEND OR FOR A COACH?
- 6U/8U — Friend and Coach requests will be a primary consideration when forming teams, although we cannot guarantee that all requests will be honored
- 10U/12U/14U — All players will be evaluated and drafted by the coaches in these divisions. Friend and Coach requests will be provided to each coach and may be used as a criterion in selecting their teams. We cannot guarantee that any or all of these requests will be honored.
WHERE & WHEN DOES IGSA PRACTICE AND PLAY GAMES?
- Practices will be held primarily at Col. Bill Barber Park (BB), David Sills Lower Peters Canyon (DSLPC) or at Portola Springs (PS). Other fields in Irvine may be used as well, depending on need and availability
- Please refer to Fields section for locations and addresses
- Practices are typically held during the week
- Weeknight practices occur anywhere from 4:00pm to 8:30pm, with most practices being held from 5:00-6:30 or 6:00-7:30
- Weekend practices, should there be any, would occur in the morning or early afternoon
- Some games may be played outside of Irvine, but will usually be within southern Orange County
- Please refer to the Calendar for further scheduling details
- Spring registration starts in late October/early November and runs through early January with teams formed later in January
- Fall registration starts in June and teams are formed in August
WHAT IF I WANT A REFUND?
Please refer to the IGSA Refund Policy on the Docs and Forms page for exact details
ARE THERE ANY SPECIAL TRAINING AND/OR CLINICS?
Yes, IGSA offers clinics throughout the year
Please look at our Clinics page or contact the Director of Clinics for more information